60cm PELICAN FRAMESET
60cm PELICAN FRAMESET
Over the years Box Dog Bikes has refined the Pelican into a low trail, fully-integrated randonneur bicycle. Designed as a quick riding, long distance road bike, with the forte to carry a small amount of luggage. There are several built-in provisions including those for full coverage fenders and support for generator lighting front and rear.
The Pelican's specialties include riding on all roads, in all weather, and at all hours of the day & night. It is not a general “all-rounder” or jack of all trades. Nor is it a touring or cross bike. While it can be used for these functions, the Pelican is much more specialized. We see it as a better design than other off-the-peg randonneur bikes on the market and aesthetically different in many ways.
All new Pelicans are currently being built for us by the team of Joseph Ahearne and Christopher Igleheart in Portland, Oregon. These new Pelicans are constructed with a selection of True Temper, Dedacciai and Columbus tubes. The main triangle will be TIG welded with double butted “standard” diameter top tubes and down tubes/seat tubes. The 28.6mm s.t. fits a clamp-on derailleur and 27.2mm seat post. The frame's thinner wall tubing gives the Pelican more lively and exciting ride that is still comfortable after long stints in the saddle. The fork is built with a Grand Bois 53mm wide fork crown and Kasei Toei Special/"Imperial Oval" fork blades.
Pelican frames have been ridden confidently since 2007 over countless miles by randonneurs, enthusiasts and commuters around North America, Australia, Asia, and Europe, including the famed Paris-Brest-Paris grand randonnee in France. It is quite possibly the best riding US made non-custom randonneur frame set on the market.
- 1” threaded steerer.
- 130mm frame&hub spacing.
- level top tube.
- cantilever/"V" brake posts.
- standard down tube shifter bosses.
- double eyelet vertical dropouts.
- double eyelet fork tips.
- mid fork "low-rider" rack mounts.
- seatstay rear rack mounts.
- pump peg behind the head tube.
- built-in threaded boss under the fork crown for direct fender mounting (no more need for a “daruma” eye-bolt).
- evenly spaced chain and seat stay bridges for proper fender lines.
- guides for generator light wiring along the fork blade.
- internal wire routing through the down tube.
- "Pelican Blue" powder coat finish with a corrosion preventative primer base.
- Clearance for 650bx42mm tires with fenders and 650bx45mm without.